3/29/07

Walking the Orient Express


Human resources at my university has created a program to help make us staff and students more healthy. "This StartWalking event is designed as a virtual bike ride that will approximate the path of the Orient Express. All participants will depart from Gare de l’Est railway station in Paris, the original starting location of the Orient Express in 1936. As with the previous StartWalking programs, participants will log their daily steps with a pedometer and enter them on the Web site. As their steps accrue, they will arrive at various European cities from which they will receive automatic eCards, and travel through seven countries collecting an entry visa stamp at each one." There are also bonuses for finding different water bottles hidden around the state which have tokens in them to prove that you found them. These are located via maps and GPS coordinates. Sounds fun, I might actually get some exercise and hubby will get to use his new GPS. Although, there is no way I'm going in this weather with a GPS trying to find some hidden water bottle in the snow. I'll wait on the bonuses until the snow melts in May. Wish me luck, I'll be walking through Europe for the next few months. Now, if only I could find a way to actually get to Europe in a non-Virtual way. Oh well, I'll have to be content with trying to keep on top of the steps standings and aiming for the grand prize gym bag or wind breaker.