4/1/07

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I was tagged by Legal Andrew with the latest internet meme. Hmm... I first wanted to be Princess Leia and I wanted to marry Darth Vader, he was so cool. Then I found out that Darth Vader is her father and abandoned that plan. Although I kept my Princess Leia waist length hair until I was 21. Later I realized that I really enjoyed engineering and since I was good at computers I figured I should be an electrical engineer. To this end I got my bachelors of science in EE. Towards the end my degree I had two internships in Washington D.C. which resulted in me changing my mind. I didn't want to be a designer, I didn't want to do quality assurance, and I didn't want to teach. I've done these things and they bore me. Instead I realized where my true skills lie. I am good at explaining technical concepts and ideas to non-technical people. I can communicate with engineers and I have good leadership skills. The law and public policy interest me and my time in D.C. solidified these inclinations. So now I want to be a lawyer when I grow up. Sometimes I think that hubby has flashbacks of Legally Blonde when he thinks about me going to law school. He thinks I just woke up one day and decided to be a lawyer. In reality the process took a little longer, but it was a real change. I wish I'd decided this earlier so I could have picked an easier major or taken things more slowly. Instead I took upwards of 26 credits to take advantage of the free tuition and go for the double major. Oh well, we'll see what comes next.